Depending on external libraries

Keith Packard release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Thu Mar 11 05:19:08 PST 2004

--==_Exmh_1287988868P

Around 17 o'clock on Mar 10, "Kendall Bennett" wrote:

> But for some poor schmo who loves X and just wants to get his feet wet
> building the latest code from X.org or whatever, it can be a really serious
> problem if the code won't build or even work if that developer has outdated
> libraries.

The correct solution here is a meta build-tool like jhbuild which ensures
that the correct dependent versions of each service is built by fetching
bits directly from upstream during the build process.

We've got that working for the modular build and it's really quite usable;
far better than accidentally installing ancient stale garbage into your
system and wondering why your fonts are completely screwed up.

If you accept that we plan to move to the modular environment for the
majority of development, then starting now by eliminating pieces which can
easily be built independently will only help make that migration easier
and less painful.

Whether we should create a jhbuild configuration for the monolithic tree
and its dependencies is another issue; it would be trivial and perhaps
would help poor schmos...

-keith

--==_Exmh_1287988868P

--==_Exmh_1287988868P--