tinderbox information.

Kendall Bennett release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Thu Mar 11 18:36:14 PST 2004

Egbert Eich <eich@pdx.freedesktop.org> wrote:

>  > I think we could just as easily use 'ccache' and 'distcc' which are
>  > nearly trivial to setup and run on almost all platforms, including Cygwin.
>  >
>  > Not to start a holy war or anything :)
>
> I don't see a need for any of these.
>
> 'make Everything' does what we need in almost all situations. It
> rebuilds the Makefiles (it just doesn't do a 'make clean'). If we
> are building in an lndir'ed (which I highly recommend) 'lndir'
> should run after every 'cvs update -d'. The '-d' option is required
> to catch newly created directories.

It is only a performance tuning issue and can be used to speed up
Tinderbox builds if there are other Linux boxes on the  same local area
network that can be used in a compile farm. If the speed is good enough
without it, then no big deal.

But it is way cheaper to have 5 single proc boxes in a compile farm, than
getting a 4 way SMP box ;-) Especially the boxes are already being used
for something else.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~