Depending on external libraries

Kendall Bennett release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Thu Mar 11 18:36:14 PST 2004

Egbert Eich <eich@pdx.freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Therefore, if we still need to grab the latest pices of everything
> when we want to update one single piece we are better of shipping a
> giant tarball. Then the user deosn't have to worry which pieces
> belong together.

Exactly. If it important for the 'distro' vendors to be able to easily
upgrade the pieces in place, then perhaps a dual approach is best. Make
sure the source for all dependent libraries is included in the official
released, but use jhbuild or whatever (I have never used that tool) such
that distro vendors can easily plug in an updated FreeType release if
that is what they need for their OS release.

For me I just want to grab the latest tarball for the piece I am
interested in (Xserver only - I doubt I will be touching Xlibs in the
near future) and be able to build it without having to head off and
download gobs of upstream packages. Especially if installing those
upstream packages on my system is going to cause major dependency
headaches for my entire OS distro. I would hate to be dependant on an
upstream version of zlib for instance that might potentially break my OS
install!

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~