Depending on external libraries

Keith Packard release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Sun Mar 14 00:26:31 PST 2004

--==_Exmh_-1382124297P

I believe we've discovered that what we should support is an environment
which lets people choose where to find external libraryes -- whether to
include known-working versions from known-stable locations or whether to
use already installed versions.  We can't make everyone happy with a
static set of source modules.

I believe this means that the current system isn't sufficient, and that we
need something in addition to (or in place of) either imake or autotools.

So, we need some additional mechanism or tool that will help people select
the right sources for each library.

As usual, we get to choose between 'build' or 'buy'. Jhbuild does most of
what we need here, we could easily set up a few different configurations to
let people choose where the external libraries came from.  The reason I've
been suggesting jhbuild is that I'm lazy and willing to place a burden on
people with ancient systems to save myself work.

For us, once python is installed, things are actually easier than with
the existing xc/extras tree as we don't need to do anything at all to
update the external libraries; just copy a known working tarball onto our
file server and people using the 'X.org blessed' versions will get them
automatically.

I think we can all agree that the people we most need to satisfy with our
build system is ourselves.  Not that we shouldn't strive to make things
reasonably friendly for other people, but twisting ourselves in
contortions to reduce the work needed for the casual CVS downloader just
isn't a good use of our time.

And spending time converting new versions of external libraries to use
imake certainly falls under the 'contortions' heading in my book.

-keith

--==_Exmh_-1382124297P

--==_Exmh_-1382124297P--