xc/lib/font/FreeType/ in "XORG-RELEASE-1"-branch differs fromXfree86 trunk...

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Mar 14 18:57:48 PST 2004

Around 2 o'clock on Mar 15, Roland Mainz wrote:

> 1. Many TTF fonts for CJK languages have both bitmaps and outlines. They
> are affected by the change, right ?

yes.

> 2. Can you explain this:
> Without your patch:
> real 71.59
> With your patch applied:
> real 95.29

I think we agreed that the change would negatively impact performance; I'm
surprised it is as small an effect as this though; I consider this an
acceptable result pending changes to the FreeType API that would give this
back.

> Per above results I consider this as a serious performance regression
> (for application like Mozilla which load MANY fonts the problem may be
> worse that the 25sec difference in the very simple testcase used above)
> - it seems you've undone a large chunk of Chisato Yamauchi's performance
> work.

Please fix the problem in the right spot and stop attempting to work around
things in the X interface.  I'll be happy to let you stick any patches you
like into the X code as long as they use published FreeType interfaces.

Anyway, Mozilla already has an good solution for font performance issues
when running against this X server.

> That's unlikely. We can simply link that stuff statically into the
> Xserver and then don't have any problems with that.

As I said, until we get the fix pushed back upstream, we will have ongoing
issues with kludging around things.  Keeping a private version of FreeType
is not an acceptable answer to this minor performance problem.

-keith