Trademarks

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 18 11:26:58 PST 2004

Around 10 o'clock on Mar 18, Jim Gettys wrote:

> When they are an attribution
> of where the file came from, they are perfectly fine and can
> be left alone; but as we change files, we should replace them.

I don't think that's a useful plan.  It would be nice to know what XFree86
version each file originated as, even those with changes.  Can we ask for
advice on how to rephrase these annotations so that we can just leave them
in place?  Something like:

/*
 * This file was copied from XFree86 CVS as of the following version number:
 * $XFree86: ... $
 */

Either keep all of them and make it work, or just delete them all.
Alternatively, we could replace the XFree86 in the CVS tag with
'PreXorg' or some such, but that seems like a gratuitous obfuscation to me.

-keith