TM, continued.

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Mar 20 02:07:10 PST 2004

Around 21 o'clock on Mar 19, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" wrote:

> Are you going to change all the $Xorg and $XC tags too?

No, those aren't (pending) registered trademarks owned by organizations who
have threatened to sue.  I really don't want to place our project in
jeopardy over this issue.

> I believe the lawyer is giving you bad advise. I'd either leave them
> alone or make make them say something that more accurately describes the
> situation, e.g. /* In the $XFree86: repository this file is version .... */

If you have additional council, I'd love to hear their advice; if we get
conflicting information, we're gonna have fun, but we may actually get
helpful information.  Right now, we've got one professional opinion and a
bunch of amateur ones.  Having more people in our corner who know the
ropes would really help.

> Beyond that, changing CVS tags in 13400+ files is a lot of changes --
> whether the changes are automated or not.

I've done it before; it's not hard, just tedious.  And, if the HP
corporate lawyer strongly recommends this change, and we have no
conflicting professional advice, I'd be hard pressed to not do it.

> The xorg repo is already doing $XdotOrg tags for anyone that bothers to
> add it. Since it's not hard I'd like to know why we need to think more
> than once about creating Problems (with a capital P) that other people
> might have to deal with?

Ok, if the CVS on fd.o can handle the new tag, that's great.  I have no
problem using it.  All I was objecting to is requiring a custom version of
CVS to deal with this problem, which is what it took in the past.

-keith