Testing whether Xlib threading support works in XORG-RELEASE-1branch...

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 22 19:30:49 PST 2004

Around 4 o'clock on Mar 23, Roland Mainz wrote:

> BTW: A quick test with Xfree4.3.0 shows that even an application which
> only has one thread hangs in libGTK initalisation thanks to a deadlock
> in the Xinput extension library... it seems that the original authors of
> the threading support in Xlib assumed that a mutex can be recursively
> entered... ;-(

Yeah, I know -- I've broken this myself in several libraries, it's hard to
test when you don't have any multi-threaded applications around.  Xine is
multi-threaded and seems to work fine, but it's not Gtk+ and doesn't use
Xinput afaik.

One good piece of news is that the threading stuff may be completely
replaced by a model which has been "proven" correct in XCB (we've got a Z
specification for the library and a formal proof for that).  So, when we
replace the insides of Xlib with XCB (in process), at least the lowest
level library bits will be much nicer looking and far more likely to be
correct.  Xlib itself was hacked to support threading, and I've never
liked how that went.

I'd love to test this stuff; we're trying to get an initial X.org release
ready by next Tuesday though, and the amount of rock-fetching needed
before then is rather large.

-keith