python crash - Freedesktop CVS - directory - xorg: xc/programs/Xserver/hw

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Nov 2 11:09:39 PST 2004

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 11:56:02AM -0500, Kristian H?gsberg wrote:
>
>>From what I could google about this, setting the RCS default branch of
>>a file in CVS is away of reverting to the vendor branch.  The problem is
>>that the 1.1.1 branch that has been set as default does not exist in the
>>file, and this is clearly an error.  It causes "rlog -r Mach32.c,v" to
>>exit with failure, and since this is what ViewCVS uses that is why it is
>>broken atm.  My guess is that someone did "cvs admin -b1.1.1" at some
>>point, though I'm not sure why, and the weird thing is that only some of
>>the files in the repository has a default branch set, see
>>
>>  http://freedesktop.org/~krh/files-missing-1.1.1.txt
>>
>>It's fairly easy to revert this, you can just clear the RCS default
>>branch by saying:
>>
>>  rcs -b Mach32.c,v
>>
>>for the files listed above and ViewCVS will work again.  I can't see how
>>this could cause problems given that the current setting is in error,
>>but I just wanted to check with the list before clearing the default
>>branch settings.
>
> Thanks a lot.  I cleared this with someone who knows entirely too much
> about CVS internals and cleared the default branch for all files that
> had a default branch that didn't exist.

I was hoping that whoever set the RCS default branch could explain what
happened.  Clearing the default branch is a step in the right direction
to fix the repo, but it is not sufficient.  If you do a CVS update now,
you will check out a lot of old files (e.g. XF86_8514.c and others) that
should have been removed.  If you do rlog XF86_8514.c, you'll see that
that file was removed on the 1.1.4 branch but it's still on the 1 (HEAD)
branch.  My guess is that we need to properly "cvs remove" these files,
but I really would appreciate if either Egbert or Kaleb could give their
opinion on this, since they did the XFree86 -> XORG_CURRENT -> HEAD
merging a year ago IIRC.

cheers,
Kristian