Which "tar" should be used to pack the X11R6.8.0 source tarballs ?

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Nov 11 01:15:56 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:45:59AM +0100, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Which "tar" version was used to pack the X11R6.8.0 tarballs ? I am just
> asking because there are several incompatibilities between the various
> versions of "tar" (many of them caused by GNU tar which has extensions
> none of the other tar versions understand... ;-( ) and I'd like to avoid
> the h*ll in which Mozilla.org resides in (their "tar.gz" tar archives
> (created with GNU tar) can only properly be unpacked using "pax" or
> "star" on non-GNU platforms).

GNU tar, but I would really, really, really, really, really, really,
really, really, really, really, really like to avoid any problems here
by regenerating tarballs for 6.8.0 and 6.8.1.  We already have one set
of known, canonical, tarballs out there with published md5sums, so let's
just wear it.  That being said, I haven't seen one report any actual
breakage at all ...

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>