Vendor patches for X11R6.8.2...

Mon Nov 15 13:50:11 PST 2004

I'm not so comfortable with this patch, though perhaps I could be convinced.

First, for the 6.8.2 release, just how much do we intend to put in?  This
seems to be crossing the line from important bug fix to new feature.

And for this specific functionality, is this really the best way to solve it?
Shouldn't the applications querying for Xinerama be modified to not use their
special behaviour when not wanted?   This seems to fool everyone to work
around a few broken applications.   I don't know about Xorg, but I know for
Xsun this would break apps that have other reasons for needing to know about
what part of the screen maps to which underlying frame buffer (such as Sun-DGA,
which is similar to Xorg's DRI, or Sun OpenGL).

Long term, we really need to decouple the long assumed 1-to-1 mapping of
Xserver screen to physical screen.   Xinerama breaks it, but so do multi-head
cards, multi-input monitors, multi-head projection systems, display walls,
and various other things.   We were kicking around for a while inside Sun,
but never got around to implementing, an extension that not only reported
physical screen boundaries, but also other characteristics clients may need
to know, like subpixel layouts of LCD's and similar devices (RGB vs. BGR,
horizontal vs vertical, etc.).

	-alan-