Approval of announcement

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Sep 17 19:13:28 UTC 2004

As discussed on the release wranglers call earlier today, I've included
the text for the X11R6.8.1 announcement below.  I'm looking for approval
and/or comments.

Please respond by 6pm EDT today.

Leon will handle sending the official announcement to the appropriate
mailing lists after 6pm.

Thanks!

X11R6.8.1 Release of the X Window System

X.Org Foundation Releases Security Update
For X Window System Version X11R6.8.0

Brookline MA, September 17, 2004 - The X.Org Foundation today announced
the release of an update for the X Window System, which addresses the
possible security vulnerability announced on September 15, 2004.  The
security advisory, which includes a description of the issue, can be
found here:

http://www.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.0/patches/README.xorg-CAN-2004-0687-0688.patch

This bug affects all known versions and releases of the X Window System,
whether from X.Org or other vendors.  Therefore, users are strongly
recommended to upgrade.

Pre-release source tar files and a patch were made available shortly
after the security advisory was released, which contained the security
fix plus some preliminary documentation.  The X.Org Foundation has now
updated the source tar files and patch with the complete documentation
and the updated release version and dates strings, and has made them
available for download from http://www.X.Org and X.Org mirror sites
worldwide.

The original release announcement for X11R6.8.0 follows.