Call Monday 24 Jan 2005

Adam Jackson ajax@nwnk.net
Mon Jan 24 10:10:55 PST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 12:39, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Huzzah, the real issue identified.  Can we please make this plan _exist_?
> >  I'm tired of sitting in this netherworld where m12n is perpetually put
> > off by doomsaying.
>
> Well, I hope the Xorg conference in february will bring some light into
> the issue... :)

I don't see why we should wait until February to discuss something that's an
issue now.

> > As noted elsewhere, nothing is destroyed by this change.
>
> ... just the default build config is horked right now.

So if you're the maintainer for xrx, go turn it back on; and then justify
including it in a monolith when it's a browser plugin, without resorting to
arguments of the form "but it was in pre-6.7 releases".

You'll have a much harder time convincing me of the continuing value of old
rotting source packages (extras/).  And please don't make the "but the distro
might have an old version" argument; that's the distro's bug, not ours.  The
"but the user might not have freetype" argument is also invalid; they should
go to the freetype website and download the thing then.

Likewise xterm.  We don't need xterm for anything - nothing else in the build
depends on it - and we don't apply any patches to it.  It's the perfect
example of a modularised application.  We have no reason to include or build
it besides that we always have done so in the past.

- ajax