6.8.3 release? next call?

Tue Mar 1 13:41:22 PST 2005

So when were we going to have the next release-wranglers call?

I suppose the primary agenda item for it would be the 6.8.3
release, since the releases beyond that will depend on the
modularization release proposal Kevin's pulling together.

For the 6.8.3 release, I would like to propose a change to the
6.8.2 - while the approval flag system in bugzilla seemed to work
well, we spent a lot of time going over patches on the calls which
we probably could have dispensed with.

For 6.8.2 the process was basically:
	- anyone can nominate a patch
	- release mgr prepares "triage map" for r-w calls
	- everyone on release-wranglers reviews the list and
	   either comments via e-mail or during discusson on
	   call of every proposed patch
	- release manager applies the patch

For 6.8.3 I'd propose this twist:
	- anyone can nominate a patch
	- patches are reviewed (in this order) by:
	   1) module/area "reviewer"
	   2) release manager
	   3) release wranglers
           At each of those levels, the reviewer can either decide
	  to approve or reject, or that they aren't comfortable
           doing either and defer to the higher level.
	- if a module/area "reviewer" approves, they apply the
	  patch, otherwise the release manager does
	- release manager prepares weekly report to release-wranglers
           of patches approved/rejected by lower levels, and triage map
	  of patches pending review for release-wranglers.   Any patch
           not approved or rejected by the time the triage map is made is
           included, to avoid waiting forever for other reviewers.

There could be multiple reviewers per module or area, and some reviewers
whose "area" is the entire tree (probably the usual suspects from the
r-w calls who know many parts of the tree well).    Hopefully this would
result in less overhead to approve patches, while still keeping enough
review that everyone is comfortable with the results.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com