[Roadster] Importing Tiger issue

Ian McIntosh ian_mcintosh at linuxadvocate.org
Fri Jul 29 04:06:36 EST 2005

Hi Arne,

I am the original author.

Nope, no one is working on improving the import function.  I have been
planning on replacing the current import code with an external library
(either libmygis[1] or gdal[2]).

I'd like to hear your ideas for the search.  The current search box
searches both roads and Points of Interest (POI) and works like this:

For POI, it uses the rule "all search words must be present somewhere in
POI data fields".  It means that more search words == fewer results,
like Google.

For roads, the search words must be a prefix of the road name ("Welling"
will match "Wellington").  House numbers and suffixes ("st", "ave") are
optional and will result in fewer results (direction prefixes/suffixes
like "NW" aren't supported yet, but will also be optional).

It will also have city/state searching eventually.

All results are sorted by distance from the current view.  Closer things
show up higher in the list, with the rationale being that it's more
likely what the user wants.  We could also weight the results to show
"bigger" things, like cities, higher in the list.

Best,
-Ian

[1] http://jcole.us/software/libmygis/
[2] http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal