[Roadster] new gdk renderer and drag to scroll

Dustin kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 05:20:19 PST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:54:18 -0500, Ian McIntosh
<ian_mcintosh at linuxadvocate.org> wrote:
> The database is the new bottleneck.  Now it seems crazy that we're
> of memory cache may be the next step.

At some point, this conversation will certainly degenerate into a
religious debate, but I'm going to throw it out there...

I've chosen PostgreSQL over MySQL several times in enterprise web
applications for its performance superiority.  The following article
discusses PostgreSQL's shared buffer cache, which might have what
you're looking for:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4791

Other articles directly comparing PostgreSQL and MySQL are a dime a
dozen these days.  To grossly oversimplify the majority of those
articles, "the bigger the database, the more you want the performance
of postgres; to smaller the database, the more want the ease of
mysql."

I think the "ecpg" package may provide the functionality Roadster
needs for embeddeding postgres.

Just a thought...don't shoot me!

Dustin