[Roadster] Partial yellowpages dataa

Don Smith donsmith77 at optonline.net
Sun Mar 20 14:24:38 PST 2005

Sorry for not reviewing it closer, I at one point had looked into the
geo data quite a bit with a friend of mine, but we gave up due to some
technical issues. The tiger/line 2004 release actually changes alot
because before that the only way to get that data was from the dot, and
my friend who looked at it alot closer than I did said there were quite
a few problems with it lining up. I'll try to get him to contribute any
of the data sites he has lying around.

The only way we really figured to get stuff like business locationhs
was yellow page data which we couldn't find freely available (and then
of course change the street addresses to lat long by looking them up
against the road data). Verizon has a large package (a few cds, which I
think is only a few hundred dollars) but I don't know whether it has
distribution terms, then again from the conversation with my friend we
argued that facts aren't copyrightable and so if you alter the
organization of the anthology of facts, then what does verizon actually
claim copyright to.

The other problem, and I don't know if it's fixed in the new tigerline
data, but it could be an issue for route planning. When two roads
intersect does the data show whether it's an overpass or an actual
intersection?

I'll try and see if I can dig up some other sites from the collection
we had.

Don