[Roadster] gps_tab

William Reid wer at cstone.net
Mon Oct 17 01:52:28 PDT 2005

Ian McIntosh wrote:

>Hi Bill,

Nice to meet you Ian.

>>I had to unfix some GPS items in order to compile with gpsd 2.15...
>>before that I was segfaulting with gpsd 2.28 (from debian packages).
>>

>Someone else was having trouble with the new gpsd.  I think they traced
>the crash to inside gpsd.  BUT they weren't having problems with other
>apps using gpsd, so I don't really know where the problem is.

Why not default to using sockets?  Is this a silly question?

>>Has this stuff been disabled (for the pre release?)
>>

>Yes.  Also, I no longer have a GPS receiver and I'm out of the US (no
>road data here), so it's hard for me to work on it.
>

>>I am trying to see what all has been done so I can pick something out to
>>help with.
>>

>All the GPS user-visible features need to be written or updated:
>
>- Show on map
>- Keep centered (or within a small circle to keep the # of redraws down)
>- Draw trail (we will probably want line clipping for this!)
>- Stick to roads

I think these are the most likely canidates for me to work on.  I will
have to figure out where to begin.
I think getting GUI stuff reenabled would be helpful for me.  I took a
shot at it but had some trouble.
Then getting gpsd updated and working.
By then I could probably tell what all is working or already there.

Also, I had a lot of trouble with libmysqld.  Mostly it was my
unfamiliarity of how it worked (or was supposed to work).  I am
wandering if the install should include the mysql database (like the one
I had to build in my home dir).  I still don't know how I could now
access the database normally.

I have seen postgres's postgis stuff but am as of yet unfamiliar with
mysql4's spatial stuff.  I have not even peeked at the indexing/layout.

>======
>
>There is existing code in need of love:
>
>- map_draw_cairo_road_label() in map_draw_cairo.c.  It's straight C and
>some Cairo text drawing.

I  am much better with existing code.  I am inventive, but it doesn't
make up for my lack of experience.

>It's the code responsible for curved road labeling.  It's a bit long.
>It could be broken up into the stages: 1. create possible draw spots, 2.
>pick best, 3. draw.

I will take a look.  I just updated to cairo's cvs version and got an
improvement in performance.

>======
>
>If you like algorithms, you could write a polygon stitcher.  From TIGER,
>we get a bunch of polygons that are touching on many points (but never
>overlapping), and it would make sense to combine them into one.
>
>It doesn't have to be fast or conserve memory, as it'll run during a
>batch import process (and never on the user's PC).
>
>Something like:
>
>void map_math_stitch_touching_polygons(const GArray* pPoly1, const
>GArray* pPoly2, GArray* pOutput);

I am not good with algorithms, but I might know where an example of
something like this lives.

>pOutput will be an existing (but empty) GArray.
>
>=====
>
>Please let me know if you want more ideas or more info on one of these!

For me it is baby steps.  It would be best to get the gui pieces working
and then get gpsd up to date.

hehe.  I am excited, your maps look great, and are faster then roadmap.