[Roadster] Introduction

Matthew Vaughn matt.vaughn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 04:27:19 PST 2006

My name is Matt Vaughn, and I'm a bioinformatics analyst at Cold
Spring Harbor Laboratory. That work is totally unrelated to my new
interest in geographical information systems, including real-time GPS
mapping. I'm the proud owner of a Magellan eXplorist 210 which I've
had great fun interfacing to my Powerbook. I do open-source
development on the BioPerl and Generic Model Organism Database
projects and use a ton of other free/open tools in my daily work, so
I'm keenly interested in extending this approach to realtime mapping
by getting Roadster and and running for myself.

Since I use Mac OS X as my desktop environment, I initially hope to
get Roadster functional under Xfree86. However, I see that Cairo has
Quartz and ATSUI support under development and GTK+2.8 is being
ported to Mac OS X as well, so the long-term goal on my part is to
work towards an OSX-native implementation of Roadster.

That said, I've run into some issues getting Roadster to build which
I am having trouble solving. But, I will detail those in a separate
email. For now, let me say it's a pleasure to meet you all.

Cheers,

Matt