[Roadster] Converting TIGER data to a MySQL database

Adam Renner arenner_dev at wowway.com
Mon Feb 13 17:34:07 PST 2006

Here is what I had in mind for the database I was making:
A wizard walks you through an installation, similar in style to a windows app installation.
First page prompts you for connection information to get admin access to the MySQL.
Second page prompts for nav database name (default "NavDB"), and a username (default "navdb") and password (default blank). A new database is created and user permission is set so that the "navdb" user has full access to the database. The database information is stored in a configuration file "~/.navdb/connection". Then the database is loaded with data.

>Roadster stores the polygon boundaries in the roads databases.  It has a
>field to tell which type of feature (road, lake boundary, etc.) a given
>"road" is.  (Similar to TIGER in this regard...)

Is there any plans to move these things out of the road tables and into tables of their own?