[Roadster] help me help you

Scott Bronson bronson at rinspin.com
Tue Jul 18 20:33:33 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 22:43 -0400, Forrest Loomis wrote:
> However, I say that purely from the screenshots, as I am completely
> incapable of getting it to run.  I can compile it with the gmemchunk
> to slice patch posted to the mailing list last month, but the GUI is
> unresponsive.

I can't run Roadster either, but for a different problem.  I simply
can't get embedded MySQL to work.  I remember some discussion about
moving to a different database...  Any chance of that happening any time
soon?  I really don't want to try wrestling with embedded MySQL again.

> Also have any thoughts been given to try and rally developers to the
> project?  Maybe a wiki, where people could show how to get what is
> currently done working, and what is currently being worked on and by
> whom.  It seems to work for other projects, maybe roadster could get
> some help from it?

Roadster already has a wiki:

http://cairographics.org/Roadster

Personally I don't like MoinMoin much.  Signing in is a pain, monitoring
changes is a pain, ...  In my experience, MediaWikis are much easier to
administer.  I set up http://wiki.openzaurus.org a few months ago.  I'd
be happy to set one up for Roadster if people thing it would be useful.

Also, what chance is there of sharing code with RoadNav?  It already has
the frontend/backend abstraction.  It's quite capable, but its rendering
is very slow and quite ugly.   http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/

I agree, I'd love to see Roadster thrive.

    - Scott