[Roadster] Status & Roadmap

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Sep 8 08:06:16 PDT 2007

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:12:36 -0500, Jeff Garrett wrote:
> Before I start describing my personal wishlist, I'll give a bit of a
> status update.  Now that I have CVS commit access, I've gone ahead and
> committed the following patches to Roadster CVS:

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I'm really excited about this. And I'd love
to really start playing with it more, but I'm about to get on an
airplane.

Thank you for th every detailed message!

> I haven't managed to update the wiki by git yet,

Oops. That's my fault---I'll try to get the wiki fixed soon.

> I don't yet know about where I can put a git repository.  Personally,
> I'd much rather use git (#12325).

Excellent---that was going to be my first suggestion. I'll get a git
repository setup for you as soon as I can, (again, that plane ride
will interfere).

> But enough of that.  What do *you* want roadster to do?

Here's a very short list:

  * Switch to using git, (we already talked about that).

  * New "database". I think using a general-purpose database like
    MySQL probably made it easier to get started, but I think its the
    wrong thing going forward long-term, (in terms of both storage
    requirements and performance). I don't know if any existing
    project has a good start on something appropriate yet.

  * Keep things light enough for a small, embedded device. The neo1973
    with integrated GPS looks _really_ interesting here, (especially
    if free-software drivers for the GPS appear).

  * Of course, routing computation would be really useful. Getting
    sufficient data is the hardest part, (how much does TIGER have
    with respect to connections, one-way streets, illegal turns, speed
    limits, etc?. anything?).

    Another approach might be to support importing commercially
    available mapsets that do have sufficient information, (so that users
    could purchase those). And of course, longer term, I'd like to see
    collaborative efforts to solve the data problem, (and again,
    openstreetmap+neo1973 seem to have some potential here).

More later. Thanks again for reviving the project!

-Carl