[Roadster] Status & Roadmap

Stéphane Urbanovski s.urbanovski at ac-nancy-metz.fr
Sun Sep 9 02:35:31 PDT 2007

Jeff Garrett a écrit :
> Hello to All!

Hello
Thanks for working on this project again

> This should make it easier to get your feet wet.  You can simply do:
>   export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.cairographics.org:/cvs/cairo
>   cvs login ; cvs -z3 co roadster
>   cd roadster
>   ./autogen.sh ; make ; make install
>
> Now roadster uses MySQL, so you have to configure connection parameters
> (#12321).  Keep in mind that these are only used for the actual
> connection.  After roadster is connected to the MySQL server, it
> attempts to create a database called 'roadster' if it doesn't exist and
> uses that one.  That is, the 'database' connection parameter is used
> only for connecting to the server, not using that database (#12320).
>
> To specify the connection parameters (#12322), create the directory
> ~/.roadster and edit the file ~/.roadster/roadster.conf.  Put in it
> (substitute your actual values):
>   [mysql]
>   host = $host
>   user = $user
>   password = $password
>   database = $database

There is a tipo in main.c (passworDD):
main.c:         db_passwd = g_key_file_get_string(keyfile, "mysql", "passwordd", NULL);

> If you skip this step, or if you don't specify all of the parameters,
> roadster will use the defaults (local host, local user, no password, no
> database name).
>
> Now you'll need to import mapping data.  To do that you'll need to find
> out your county FIPS code, and download a file from the Census Bureau
> website (#12319).  The roadster wiki has links to a list of FIPS codes
> as well as to the CB website.  You can start roadster, go to Debug >
> Import Map Data... and select the ZIP file from the Census Bureau.
>
> Now you are ready to begin!  Go to the search box in the upper right,
> put in a street name, and press enter (#12323).

The search box seems to work, but I'm not able to see anything on the map (stay blank)

> - Printing (#12352)

Export a "screenshot" ?

> - Database abstraction / other databases
>   There are places in the code that have explicit database queries
>   and which are not very database independent.  Obviously, most of
>   the database stuff should be moved away from the rest of the code,
>   so as to make it fairly easy to change (#12344).

I think database initialisation should be left out the main program and put in an external script.

>   An SQLite database backend would be nice and have zero
>   configuration (#12321).  It'd also make it easy to prepackage
>   the TIGER data (#12345).
>
>   Some people would probably appreciate postgres/postgis support but
>   I don't think that's an immediate concern (#12346).

Postgis has interessant capabilities like road simplification.

> - OpenStreetMap support (#12348)
>   We should be able to read their data, and serve as an OSM editor.
>   They currently use JOSM, a specialized Java app, but we could also
>   do this.  It would give us more data too...  Note that the OSM
>   data includes the one-way street data.

+1 !

Regards

--