[SCIM] dramatically improved scim-panel-kde and inter-operatability with scim

liu spider liuspider at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 11:10:12 PDT 2004

Hello every,

These days scim-panel-kde received bunch of
improvements: more features and small bugs fix.

Now, all the necessary features in panel frontend are
implemented, besides a brand new plugin: kde setup ui
is included which is based upon KConfig XT (FYI
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/kconfigxt/kconfigxt.html).

Hope you have a try. IMO it has been stable enough for
everday use and I am looking forward to your feedbacks
and bug reports ;)

On the other hand, I have an issue about
inter-operatability of scim-panel-kde and SCIM: as
stated, KConfig XT is used through out scim-panel-kde
to automate the creation of Setup UIs. KConfig XT can
only handle config files under ~/.kde/share/config/
and I just found that so many codes are there in
KConfig class so it makes no sense for me to subclass
it.

Now the included SetupUI can only modify a subset of
the specific settings used in scim-panel-kde,
excluding settings of SCIM (and scim-panel-gtk)
itself. However, I hope end users can config SCIM and
scim-panel-kde in a one-stop solution, thus all the
configs will be included eventually.

My issue is that as long as all the settings saved in
KConfig XT goes into a file under ~/.kde/share/config/
(say skimrc), how scim read them?

The solution I come up is: first time the Konfig
dialog (KConfig XT) is requested, it will read all
scim setting through a specified scim config module.
After the user modify any options, just before Kconfig
closes, it will write them back via scim config module
API. (Unfortunately, currently configbase in scim-lib
does not support retrieving all the setting options.)

What's your opinion?

Regards,
Cougar