[SCIM] Help getting scim to run on Debian

Zhengzhu Feng fengzz at cs.umass.edu
Tue Apr 27 06:36:17 EST 2004

Hi all!

I am searching for a Chinese input solution in Linux and come across
this project, which looks very promising. However I am having some
problem getting it to run correctly. I am running Debian
testing/unstable mixed. Here is what I did:

1. download scim-0.9.6 as well as scim-tables-0.3.5. no problem
compiling/installing.
2. open an xterm, and run scim. seems fine, but it failed to load the
socket server module. here is the output:

fengzz at x31:~$ scim
Smart Common Input Method 0.9.6

Creating backend ...
rawcode Server module is successfully loaded.
Failed to load socket Server module.
table Server module is successfully loaded.
Starting SCIM ...

3. open another xterm, and do
   export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.gb2312; export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
   (I am using bash)
4. run some program in this xterm, say crxvt-gb. within crxvt-gb, I can
activate the input panel by "ctrl-shift"; I can type some letter to get
a list of Chinese characters; but when I choose one of them by pressing
a number key, I get no Chinese character in the crxvt-gb window (as if I
typed in nothing). I tried mozilla as well as emacs, they all behave the
same. On the other hand, I can get xcin to work correctly with these
applications.

another observation in this case: if I turn off the input panel by
"ctrl-shift" again, I can type in English letter as normal. But each key
I pressed, I got a "scim_x11_ic.cpp(373):Unknown attr: inputStyle"
message from the consol running scim.

Thanks for your help!

-zhengzhu