[SCIM] Inputting tone-correct Pinyin (not characters) with SCIM

Rachel Kronick rachel_kronick at jiawen.net
Sun Dec 5 22:15:32 PST 2004

That's certainly one route to take. However, assigning things to extra
keys would require too many unused keys (A1, a1, A2, a2, etc. etc.). I
don't think there are enough to do it, actually. It would also not be
very intuitive, unless I was actually able to use only the A, O, E, I, U
keys. Even then, I'd have to memorize something like "control = 3rd
tone, shift = 2nd tone", and I'd be unable to use handy things like
ctrl-A for "select all". Finally, this method has the problem of
requiring me to add yet another layer of things I have to learn. There
are many other Linux problems I'm trying to work on already. So, it's a
good idea, but not very practical for me.

Is there an easier solution?

Thanks!

-- Rachel Kronick