[SCIM] Inputting tone-correct Pinyin (not characters) with SCIM

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Mon Dec 6 23:38:23 PST 2004

In article <278a3d041206225326aa7449 at mail.gmail.com>, Zhe Su <james.su at gmail.com> writes:

>>  Even after restarting scim, with LANG=ja_JP.eucJP (my
>>  default), I can select only a few m17n-based input method
>>  (ja-xxx) with OO.o.  But, with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8, I can
>>  select all m17n-based input methods including zh-pinyin.
>>
>>  It's surely strange.
>>
> It's not strange. LANG=ja_JP.eucJP can only support Japanese. So only
> Japanese input methods can be selected.
> But ja_JP.UTF-8 can support all languages, so all input methods can be used.

I think restricting available input methods by locale is not
a good idea.

Even in ja_JP.eucJP locale, OpenOffice can handle all
languages (at least it can display not only Japanese but
also many others).

Or, do you mean that OpenOffice uses scim via XIM, and XIM
supports only such encoding specified by locale?  But, even
in that case, it is possible to encode many Chinese
characters to eucJP.  On the other hand, even in the Chinese
locale zh_TW.big5, as far as I know, pinyin characters
(e.g. U+0101) are not included in Big5.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n.org