[SCIM] Inputting tone-correct Pinyin (not characters) with SCIM

David david at plm11.pl
Wed Dec 8 05:59:37 PST 2004

Yes, it is possible.

For example I used SCIM table to define a table-based input of all
extended latin characters. It is not finished yet and I am not working
on it at the moment, because what I have right now is working for my
limited needs. But the idea is to have one IM for all latin extended
characters and another for IPA.

I use the same IM to input French (it is more convenient than to learn
new keyboard layout), Chinese pinyin and transcribe Arabic. (Here is the
sample to show how it looks like: Marra qāl il-malik la-Ǧuḥa: btiqdar
bilēlet kawānīn tuqʽud lēle biz-zalṭ min ġēr nār? Qāl: baqdar. Fa-rāḥ
u-qaʽad ṭūl el-lēl bala badle ʽa rās ǧabal, ḥatta inno māt min eṣ-ṣaqʽa.
Fa-iǧa tāni yōm lal-malik u-qallo: yā malik ez-zamān, qaḍḍēt lēle mitl
mā qultilli min ġēr awāʽi u-min ġēr nār fil-barrīye. Qallo: abadan mā
šuftiš nār? Qāl: šuft baṣbūṣ nār min ebʽīd. Qallo: dfit. Qāl: ẖalaṣ?
dfīt? Qallo: naʽam. Qāl biʽaqlo: badabbirak - u-naṭar la-tnāset eš-šaġle
uftakar in yaʽmal ʽazīme lal-malik barra fil-barr.)

It is very easy to input any latin (and not only latin) text on Linux.
You just need a couple of minutes to _CREATE_ an IM suited to your
personal taste :-) It takes more time to define what you want than to
make it happen :-). This is what I like so much about SCIM and m17n-lib.
I think these are perfect tools for people like you: teachers, scholars,
students...

Best regards,
David