[SCIM] Trouble installing scim.

Hamish Alexander hamish at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 19:39:46 PST 2004

Hi -

I'm new to scim, and having trouble getting it installed.

1) My environment:

Sorcerer Linux ( currently updated to latest packages )

Linux version 2.6.10-rc3
gcc version   3.4.3
glibc         2.3.3
libxml2       2.6.16
GConf         2.8.1
KDE           3.3.2

2) build:

I built the following packages ( in this order ):

  anthy-5900.tar.gz
  libotf_0.9.2.orig.tar.gz
  m17n-db-1.1.0.tar.gz
  m17n-lib-1.1.0.tar.gz
  scim-1.0.1.tar.gz
  scim-m17n-0.1.3.tar.gz
  scim-tables-0.4.3.tar.gz

with:

  ./configure --prefix`/usr --sysconfdir`/etc
  make
  make install

3) I start scim with:

  export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
  export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
  export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
  scim -d

which returns:

Creating backend ...
--snipped---
m17n IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
rawcode IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
--snipped---
table IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Creating backend ...
--snipped---
socket IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Smart Common Input Method 1.0.1

Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
Launching a SCIM process with x11...
SCIM has been successfully launched.

4) Looks good, but:

   i) the 'blank' (us keyboard) icon shows in the tray.
  ii) left click does _NOTHING_.
 iii) Right click => setup, brings up the setup screen;
      if I change the conf module to 'gconf' and DO
      NOT EXIT the setup screen, left click on the
      icon pops up the list of languages.
  iv) I can then select, for example, Japanese
      Higragana, and the icon has the Hiragana
      symbol.

5) BUT!!!

  In KWrite, Mozilla, elvis, emacs, no control
  sequences ( ctrl+space, etc.) are active;
  it is as if scim was not running.

Any help would be great! I have read and reread all the
'hints' and 'HOW-TO' pages I could find, but I will
go and read more :)

Aloha => Beau;

--
Many Thanks,