[SCIM] Re: [m17n-lib:00079] Proposal: add minput_reset_ic (MinputContext *ic) method.

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Mon Dec 20 21:18:30 PST 2004

In article <278a3d041213092662c4cf22 at mail.gmail.com>, Zhe Su <james.su at gmail.com> writes:
>   I suggest to add minput_reset_ic (MinputContext *ic) method to reset
> an input context to its initial state.

Sorry for the late response, I was in Hanoi last week.  I've
just implemented the above function.  Please try the latest
CVS code of m17n-lib.  The documentation is as below:

    The minput_reset_ic () function resets the input context $IC by
    calling a callback functions corresponding to #Minput_reset.  As
    the current preediting text is committed to $IC->produce, if
    necessary, a program can extract the text from there.

Choe Hwanjin <choe.hwanjin at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm very curious about this. the reset method is very essential to
> korean im. Is there any historical reason about this?

I don't understand why such an API as minput_reset_ic is so
essential to Korean IM.  If a user wants to commit the
current preediting text, he can type some key defined as the
command for "commit this" in an input method.  For instance,
currently ko-romaja.mim accepts SPC as a command for "commit
this and insert space", but it's easy to change it to a
command for "If there's no preediting text, insert space.
Otherwise commit the preediting text" if that is more
preferable.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n.org