[SCIM] Compose keys don't function with SCIM's gtk immodule

Yukiko Bando ybando at k6.dion.ne.jp
Sun Jul 11 19:27:14 PDT 2004

Hi,

When I switch to French keyboard layout or my custom Xmodmap, compose keys
(aka dead keys) don't seem to work either using SCIM's gtk immodule or
SCIM-XIM.

My environments:
- KDE 3.2.3, Xorg-x11-6.7, Mandrake 10.1 cooker
- Locale=en_US.UTF-8
- Japanese 106 keyboard
- dead_circumflex (^) is assigned to keycode 34 (next to "P") in French
keyboard layout.

1) In gedit
a) using SCIM's gtk immodule
^ x 2 (press ^ twice) =  nothing happens
^ + e (press ^ then e) = e

b) using UIM's gtk immodule
^ x 2  = ^
^ + e = ê

# Compose keys work fine.

2) In kwrite
a) when SCIM-XIM running
^ x 2  = nothing happens
^ + e = e

b) when SCIM-XIM not running
^ x 2  = ^^
^ + e = ^e

# There's no way to input accented characters using compose keys in qt
applications at the moment.  (Thomas Quinot's patch is not applied in
Mandrake...?)

# Tokunaga-san posted this link in UIM's mailing list a while ago. (FYI)
"Dead keys under Linux and X11"
http://wauug.erols.com/~balsa/linux/deadkeys/

I wonder if this is a problem specific to Japanese keyboard or my distro.  Can
anyone try to see if it works?

Thank you.

Yukiko