[SCIM] Built-in support of compose keys is available.

Yukiko Bando ybando at k6.dion.ne.jp
Wed Jul 21 05:02:09 PDT 2004

[Encoding: UTF-8]

Hi,

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 19:55, Zhe Su wrote:
>   I just committed an essential compose keys support into scim cvs head.
>   Now you can use compose keys after selecting "English/European"
> input method in "English/Keyboard" submenu.
>
>   Please try it and give me bug reports.

Here's the characters that I could compose with 'English/European'. :)
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/mandrake/deadkey.html

It worked fine both in GTK and QT applications, though many characters
appeared as a square in the latter.  (QT's font substitution problem?)

Probably it's not SCIM's fault, but I accidentally found a problem in gnumeric
when I was making the chart in the program.

dead_circumflex (^) and dead_diaeresis (¨) are assigned to keycode 34 (next to
P) in French keyboard layout.

Normally it works like this:
34 > e (press 34 > release > press e) = ê
34 > Shift+e = Ê
Shift+34 > e =ë
Shift+34 > Shift+e = Ë

What happened in gnumeric:
34 > e  = ê (OK)
34 > Shift+e = E
Shift+34 > e =ë (OK)
Shift+34 > Shift+e = E
(Shift+34)+e  = Ë (tricky!)
There seems no way to compose Ê.

And I got *another* 'English/Keyboard'  with 'English/European' submenu at the
top of the menu.

Anyway, thank you so much for your work!

Yukiko