[SCIM] Troubles running Scim

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:33:58 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 04:46:32AM +0800, Gilles Vigner wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Gilles Vigner,

> Scim doesn't work on my system.
>
> My version of scim is the following :
>
> gilles at debian:~$ dpkg -l |grep scim
> ii  scim           0.99.4-2       Smart Chinese/Common Input Method platform
> ii  scim-chinese   0.4.0-2        Chinese input module for Smart Chinese/Commo
> ii  scim-tables-zh 0.4.0-2        Data files for Chinese

I am not aware of these packages.  I suppose you build them yourself?

> rc  scim-config-gc 0.9.7-2        GConf Config module for SCIM
> ii  scim-config-so 0.9.7-2        Socket Config module for SCIM
> ii  scim-dev-doc   0.9.7-2        Smart Common Input Method platform, develope
> ii  scim-frontend- 0.9.7-2        Socket FrontEnd module for SCIM
> ii  scim-server-so 0.9.7-2        Socket Server module for SCIM

Then please remove all these old 0.9.7 packages.  I don't know how you
build the scim package and if they include the necessary file, but 0.9.7
and 0.99.x are not compatible, so these are useless.

> When I start it, I get the following error message :
>
> gilles at debian:~$ scim
> Smart Common Input Method 0.99.4
[snipped]
> Starting as daemon ...
> scim::FrontEnd: X11 -- failed to connect to the panel daemon!
> SCIM has exited abnormally.
> gilles at debian:~$

I am not familar with the new panel daemon in 0.99.x, but I suppose a
strace would be helpful.  James or Cougar should know much better than
I do.

> What can I do to solve this problem ?
>
> Thank for help,
> Gilles Vigner