[SCIM] Making Scim run automatically

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Mon Jul 26 16:26:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 07:01:04AM +0800, Gilles Vigner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have add the three following lines
> /usr/bin/scim &
> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> in my /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file like this:
>
> gilles at debian:~$ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $
>
> # /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> #
> # global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

So did you start your X session by typing ``startx'' in a terminal or
use some display manager like gdm or kdm?

> /usr/bin/scim &
> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>
> # invoke global X session script
>  /etc/X11/Xsession
> gilles at debian:~$
>
> but it still doesn't work.
> I'd like scim to run for any user in any desktop (kde,
> gnome...), what's wrong in what i did ?

I never figured out how exactly Debian deal with the various X startup
init scripts.  But to see whether your change works is simple.  Just
open a X terminal on your desktop, use the command:
    $ echo $XMODIFIERS
    $ echo $GTK_IM_MODULE
to check.  Also, what is your locale in X (use command ``$ locale'' to
check)?

> Gilles

Hope this helps,
Ming