[SCIM] Please help me test the newest SCIM code.

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Fri May 14 11:30:14 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:43:51AM +0800, James Su wrote:
> Ming Hua wrote:
> >Hmm, I was using my old CVS checkout tree, and something must went wrong
> >there, since a fresh new CVS checkout seems to solve this problem.
> >
> >So what is the correct way to rebuild from the CVS checkout?  Right now
> >I use
> >   $ ./bootstrap
> >   $ ./configure
> >   $ make
> >but obviously it's not enough.
> It should be enough. But you need the following packages installed:
>
> autoconf >= 2.57
> automake >= 1.7.3
> libtool >= 1.4
> intltool >= 0.30
> gconf2 >= 2.0.0
> pkgconfig >= 0.15
> gnu make

It seems I am good in Debian unstable:

$ dpkg -l autoconf automake1.7 libtool intltool gconf2 pkg-config make
<snipped>
ii  autoconf       2.59-3         automatic configure script builder
ii  automake1.7    1.7.9-6        A tool for generating GNU Standards-complian
ii  libtool        1.5.6-1        Generic library support script
ii  intltool       0.30-1         Utility scripts for internationalizing XML
ii  gconf2         2.4.0.1-4      GNOME configuration database system. (daemon
ii  pkg-config     0.15.0-4       Manage compile and link flags for libraries
ii  make           3.80-7         The GNU version of the "make" utility.

However my old CVS still didn't work if I only do ``make clean'' and
``./bootstrap''.  I had to delete all the generated file by
    $ for file in `cat .cvsignore`; do rm -r $file; done
and then everything went fine.  It seems there's something wrong with
libtool (I recently upgraded from 1.5.2 to 1.5.6, I think), but since
it's working now, I won't bother to find out.

So now I can compile scim cvs just fine.  However I couldn't install it
to a non-default directory, let alone use it there.  The problems I have
found include:

1. The ``make install'' insists to install schema files in /etc, despite
my ``./configure --prefix="/home/minghua/scim"'' instructions.  Do I
have to specify ``--sysconfdir="/home/minghua/scim/etc"'' as well?
(Sorry I didn't have exact error message here since I didn't kept the
log, but I can reproduce it if necessary.)  I worked around this problem
by ``./configure --prefix="/home/minghua/scim"
--disable-schemas-install'', however --

2. The installation of im modules doesn't honor my prefix either, I got
/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules
mkdir /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules': Permission denied
make[3]: *** [install-moduleLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

And I had little access trying to invoke my CVS version of scim.  It
seems I always get the scim in my /usr/bin instead.  I really don't want
to mess around with my current working environment, so I think I'll set
up a chroot enviroment to test this.  It will take some time, though, so
please be patient.  I'll try to make it in this weekend.

Thanks,
Ming
2004.05.14