[SCIM] The new features I'm implementing.

Yukiko Bando ybando at k6.dion.ne.jp
Wed Nov 10 18:44:30 PST 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 00:20, Zhe Su wrote:
>   Currently I'm implementing the following features in the next major
> SCIM release:
>
> 1. Multiple displays support for one user at the same time (DONE).
> 2. Add a beep method in IMEngine interface (DONE).
> 3. Client Helper interface, for client side GUI Helper module, eg.
> customized GUI, On Screen Keyboard, Handwriting, etc. (WIP)
> 4. Proxy IMEngine support, for revert conversion etc. (TODO)
> 5. Keyboard Layout remapping, eg. remap QWERTZ, Dovrak layouts to QWERTY.
> (TODO)
>
> Do you have any suggestions and ideas about these features? Or, do
> you have any new requests? Please tell us.

Hello,

I'd like to make a small request about the candidate selection in Smart
Pinyin.  Maybe it is related with #5 of the above?

It's very convenient to be able to select a candidate from the list by number
(which is not implemented in UIM's Japanese input methods...), especially
when what I want is the last one in the proposed list.  On some keyboard
layouts like French AZERTY, however, one has to press Shift to get 1-0 (see
below).  Also, with my custom xmodmap, I have to press a mode switch key
because 1-0 are in the second group...

Of course, one has the option to use a different keyboard layout for Chinese
input, but switching between two layouts is a little bit confusing for me,
and probably so it is for most people, I guess.  So, I wonder if either of the
following would be possible.

* Allow users to customize the select keys.
* SCIM (or scim-chinese) judges what users select from the list by keycode
instead of characters/figures that are mapped to a key.

I hope I'm not asking for something crazy... :)

Looking forward to the next release.  Thank you.

Yukiko

--------
(French AZERTY layout)
keycode  10 = ampersand 1