[SCIM] Different INPUT mode???

Jan Hefti j.hefti at chinaboard.de
Thu Nov 25 00:16:50 PST 2004

Hi,

김성남 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know about diffrence meaning #1, #2 and #3.
> My pc's envirenment is GB2312(simplified chinese).
> I think I don't need #1 and #3. Right?

If you never write traditional Chinese characters, you only need #2 -
correct.

> Why dose SCIM use three modes?
>
> #1. 中 - what means?
> http://www.chinaboard.de/manual/skim/skim_toolbar1.png

In this mode, you can select both simplified and traditional Chinese
characters. This is the standard mode even if you write Simplified
Chinese, probably because some company names, etc. are still written in
traditional characters.

> #2. 簡 - Is this Simplified Chinese?
> http://www.chinaboard.de/manual/skim/skim_toolbar3.png

Yes.

> #3. 樊 - Is this Traditional Chinese?
> http://www.chinaboard.de/manual/skim/skim_toolbar4.png

Yes.

> and, When I tested by "beijing", tree modes are same result  "北京".
> What diffenece?

Beijing is written the same in Simplified and Traditional Chinese, so
there cannot be different results. If you try (e.g.) "Guangzhou", it
should come out as 广州 in Simplified Chinese and 廣州 in Traditional
Chinese. Note, though, that Intelligent Pinyin is tuned for Simplified
Chinese and does not contain a large dictionary in Traditional Chinese,
so you will have to select the correct characters yourself the first
time you write "Guangzhou" in traditional characters. After that, the
combination 廣州 will be stored in the user dictionary.

> p.s. Microsft IME only use "中" and "英".

I think this depends: in some versions, you can select whether
traditional or simplified characters should be written; with other
versions, you need two different IMEs for Simplified and Traditional
Chinese.

Regards,
Jan