[SCIM] Some werid problem about SCIM

Shixin Zeng shixinzeng at sjtu.edu.cn
Sat Nov 27 02:31:27 PST 2004

These days I was puzzled by these two problems  about SCIM.
The first one: SCIM can't cooperate with gvim with vim-latexsuite.
Let me discribe this problem in details:
1. install vim-latexsuite and gvim
2. gvim some.tex
3. Ctrl+Space to activate SCIM to input chinese.
The problem will be:
When GTK_IM_MODULE is set to "SCIM", I can't even input Chinese via
SCIM. SCIM can be activated, but it will immediatly become deactived
just after I hit keys, so I can input nothing except English letters.
When GTK_IM_MODULE is set to "xim", I can input Chinese. But once I hit
"space", "backspace" or number keys(1, 2, 3... 9, 0) in Chinese input
mode, the SCIM will become deactived. I must hit Ctrl+Space again to
input Chinese, it's very boring.
AFAIK, this problem existed before SCIM 1.0.

The second one: the candidate bar doesn't disappear automatically in gaim.
The candidate bar doesn't disappear automatically after you select the
character. It is a terrible thing that you must hit ESC or some keys
else to hide it every time.
For other gtk2 programs, such as gnome-terminal, gedit etc. it works fine.

My system:
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.4/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared
--with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug
--enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gc i486-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-9ubuntu5)
scim-lib scim scim-tables: CVS HEAD on 27 Nov 2004.

--
Best regards
Shixin Zeng