[SCIM] scim can't work under ubuntu

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Mon Oct 4 03:51:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 11:46:38AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 08:09:26PM +0800, kode4u wrote:
> > Dear linuxers:
> >
> > I installed a distro of debian, ubuntu, just now. when I finished
> > installing of scim and try to start it, it didn't work!
> >
> > I dont't know how. When I used it in debian, it worked very well.
> >
> > Anyone can help me?
>
> Did you compile from source (debian or tar.gz) or just installed Debian
> scim deb binary package?

Or, recompiled package from ubuntu universe repository?

> If you did use deb from Debian, it may not work due to binary
> compatibility issues ubuntu which they claim not 100 %.
>
> Use backport techniques described in Debian Reference to make sure you
> have compatibility.

I know that ubuntu developers recompiled scim in universe (due to
different gtk version), but I've never tested it.

Without testing, I would say XIM should work fine, but GTK IM module
most likely won't work due to the install directory of the immodule
plugin im-scim.so.

Ming
2004.10.03