[SCIM] scim-qtimm 0.7 released

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Sat Sep 4 21:56:29 PDT 2004

In article <413AF200.9060500 at plm11.pl>, David <david at plm11.pl> writes:

> First of all, hello to all. I am new to the list, I subscribed yesterday
> :-) I am also new to Linux - I am Gentoo user for about a month now. So,
> forgive me if I say or ask something dumb.

> I would like to ask, whether Vietnamese m17n-vi-viqr is working
> correctly for you? It seems broken to me.
> I type: To^i te^n la` Dda vi.t.
> I should get: Tôi tên là Đa vịt.
> I am getting: Tô itnê là Đ avịt.

> Can you confirm that? Or it is just something wrong on my system?

I'm one of developpers of of m17n-lib.  At least vi-viqr
input method is working well with an example program "medit"
(a simple Unicode editor included in the distribution of
m17n-lib).

> I am on qt 3.3.3 patched for qt-immodule binary incompatible.
> SCIM 0.99.9
> scim-m17n 0.1.3
> scim-qtimm 0.6_pre20040820 (will check with 0.7 once I fix the ebuild)
> scim-tables 0.4.3
> skim 0.9.7

> I would also like to learn how to write input modules for SCIM with
> behaviour similar to Vietnamese (several keys that add diacritics - for
> example to enter transcriptions in linguistic texts that make heavy use
> of diacritics) and similar to Chinese (presenting candidate characters -
> as an example can be IME to input cuneiform - it should behave exactly
> as Chinese IMEs). Is there some tutorial or documentation for this
> available, or the only way to learn to do it is to read the sources?

It is fairly easy to add an input method for the m17n
database (m17n-db) which is used by scim-m17n.  Once an
input method is added to m17n-db, then, I beleive it's also
easy to make scim use it.

This is the main page of the m17n-lib and m17n-db:
	http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib/

This page describes the format of input method data:
	http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib/m17n-docs/m17nDBFormat.html#mdbIM

This page provides short explanations for each input method:
	http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib/m17n-docs/m17nDBData.html#mim-list

When you create a new XXX.mim file, put it under the
directory where the m17n-db is installed (ususally,
/usr/share/m17n or /usr/local/share/m17n).  Edit the file
mdb.dir in the same directory and add this line:
(input-method LL NAME "XXX.mim)
LL is a two letter language code of ISO639-1 (e.g. "vi" for
Vietnamese), NAME to identify the input method.

That's all.

You'll find other input method files *.mim in that
directory.  Please use them as examples.

If you have a question, please feel free to ask me.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n.org