[SCIM] Re: skim 1.0.0 released

Mike FABIAN mfabian at suse.de
Fri Sep 10 03:50:46 PDT 2004

Hi Cougar,

I tried to start skim automatically with the KDE session by
adding

    skim -d

to /etc/X11/xim which is sourced by /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc (this is
on SuSE Linux).

When doing that, I run into a problem with a DCOP server error
message though.

The screen shot at

    http://lisa.goe.net/~mfabian/misc/skim-20040910/skim-dcop-server-error.png

show the dcop server related  error message dialog box.

As I run in Japanese, part of the error message is in Japanese.  The
Japanese part means:

    Please make sure that the "dcopserver" program is running!

This dialog box with the DCOP server error message stays until the
user closes it by clicking the OK button, only after that skim really
starts. That means if the user clicks this button late when the whole
kde session is already up, the input won't work in the applications
which have been started already.

When clicking away that box, skim starts but this is too late for the
mlterm visible on the same screen shot.

First I thought this problem happens only on slow machines, but
actually I can reproduce it on any machine now. The reason why
I could not reproduce it on my fast machine is due to
another problem:

scim is already running on display :0 (which uses fvwm as the
window manager and does not use skim, only scim). When I start
a second X11 session on display :1 using kde with

    startx kde -- :1

skim doesn't start, it complains that a scim panel is already
running. But that panel is for display :0 and should not disturb the
X11 session on display :1. Shouldn't it be possible to use
skim on display :1 even if scim is already running on
display :0?

--
Mike FABIAN   <mfabian at suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。