[SCIM] SCIM & OpenOffice

Anton Birkel abirkel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 22:13:57 UTC 2004

I had been fighting to get UIM working with OO (Some people had said
it worked, as well as im-ja) but I couldn't get it working so I tried
SCIM - I had heard it worked.

I tried it and... it doesn't either. I'm at a loss as to what to do -
no IM seems to work with OO (which irritates me incredibly).

So, I'm asking for some help =)

Here's basically what I've done. I've installed SCIM, SCIM-TABLES,
SCIM-CHINESE, SCIM-i17m, and SCIM-UIM. I've gtk-query-immodules-2.0 >
/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules. Then I tested by running:
$ XMODIFIERS="@im=scim" GTK_IM_MODULES="scim" gedit
at which point the scim daemon fired up (I could see it in the
console) and I was able to activate scim in gedit by pressing the
hotkey.

Next I tried
$ XMODIFIERS="@im=scim" GTK_IM_MODULES="scim" oowriter
which many people have said works - doesn't. I dont see the scim
daemon being launched, nor am I able to get input.
I've even tried running scim -d and then the above line of code --
still nothing.

Please help.