[SCIM] skim and Fedora Core 2

Jan Hefti j.hefti at hamburg.de
Wed Sep 22 07:00:18 UTC 2004

Roland Wolters wrote:

>Once upon a time Roland Wolters wrote:

>I played a little bit around with differen locales and tried several of them:
>
>LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
>LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
>LC_CTYPE="ko_KR.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
>
>Everytime I got another font in the menus of kwrite:
>- with zh_ZN there was no "umlaut" but the ü, i was not able to input any
>"umlaut"; the font were fixed and very small
>- with ja_JP all "umlaut"s had been substituted by small black boxes in the
>middle, i was able to input all "umlaut"s; the font were quite normal (not
>fixed, normal high, not very well rendered)
>- with ko_KR all"umalut"s are substituted with blank except the ß - its not
>substituted and I am able to input it; the font is quite normal, but
>different from the font which comes with with ja_JP
>
>To have a better understanding, I had amde a screeshot of the different
>started kwrites. I hope you have an idea how that can comes up.
>http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/screenshots/20040922-kwrite-skim-screenshot.jpg
>
>And I do not think that it does not depend on the problem talked about at
>http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html
>There they talk about problems with the fonts in the input-field of kedit - my
>problem are the menu-Structure.

I still believe it is the same problem. Which font do you use for your
menus? (You can configure fonts for different parts of the GUI in
kcontrol.) I guess it may be one that does not physically exist on your
system (like sans-serif or any font that you do not have installed). It
should be one you have configured for font substitution (and the part
between square brackets, if existent, is as important as the rest of the
font name).

Regards,
Jan