[SCIM] Re: skim and Fedora Core 2

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Wed Sep 22 19:44:08 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Mike FABIAN wrote:
> Jan Hefti <j.hefti at hamburg.de> さんは書きました:
> > Roland Wolters wrote:
> >>
> >>I played a little bit around with differen locales and tried several of
> >> them:
> >>
> >>LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
> >>LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
> >>LC_CTYPE="ko_KR.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
> >>
> >>Everytime I got another font in the menus of kwrite:
> >> - with zh_ZN there was no "umlaut" but the ü, i was not able to
> >> input any "umlaut"; the font were fixed and very small
> >> - with ja_JP all "umlaut"s had been substituted by small black boxes
> >> in the middle, i was able to input all "umlaut"s; the font were
> >> quite normal (not fixed, normal high, not very well rendered)
> >> - with ko_KR all"umalut"s are substituted with blank except the ß -
> >> its not substituted and I am able to input it; the font is quite
> >> normal, but different from the font which comes with with ja_JP
> >>
> >> To have a better understanding, I had amde a screeshot of the
> >> different started kwrites. I hope you have an idea how that can
> >> comes up.
> >>http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/screenshots/20040922-kwrite-skim-
> >>screenshot.jpg
> >>
> >>And I do not think that it does not depend on the problem talked about at
> >>http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html
> >> There they talk about problems with the fonts in the input-field of
> >> kedit - my problem are the menu-Structure.
> >
> > I still believe it is the same problem. Which font do you use for your
> > menus? (You can configure fonts for different parts of the GUI in
> > kcontrol.) I guess it may be one that does not physically exist on
> > your system (like sans-serif or any font that you do not have
> > installed).
>
> I guess Jan is right here. If you use a generic alias like "Sans
> Serif" for the menus, you will get a font which works for the language
> of your current LC_CTYPE. It *may* work for other languages, but there
> are no guarantees.
>
> The Qt font-substitution setup mechanism only works for "real" fonts,
> not for aliases like "Sans Serif".
>
> In case of aliases like "Sans Serif", Qt also does some magic and may
> also mix different fonts, but you cannot influence it with the
> substitution setup. If you are lucky Qt automatically a good
> combination, if not make sure to select a really existing font for the
> menus and setup your own substitution rules with qtconfig.

Seems to be a good explanation. As you can see in my other mail (I am sorry
that I am so late, I solved it yesterday night but only answered LiuCougar
and not the whole list) everything went well when I changed the font to Luxi
Sans.
I am very sorry for making so much trouble :/
But maybe you can add it to your HowTos? Cause the standard KDE font in a
fedora installation is the "Sans"-alias.

Roland