[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina@libero.it
Sun Jan 16 14:15:05 PST 2005

Yukiko wrote:

>Hmm... That is strange.
>What if you manually select Unicode (utf-8) from View > Set Encoding?

Thanks again for your help!
Yes, if I manually set `Unicode (utf-8)' from `View > Set Encoding'
the problem is solved, and now I've set it by default from
`Settings > Configure Editor > Open/Save > Encoding',
wich before was set by default on `Western European (iso 8859-1)'.
It seems okay now. The only inconvenience is that now kwrite might not read
properly a file that was saved with an encoding system different from
Unicode utf-8, and vice versa another editor set with a different encoding
system
(Kate, for example) might not read properly
a file that was edited and saved with kwrite.

To avoid that I could maybe adopt your other suggestion:

>The only other thing that I can think of is the font.  Which one are you
>using in kwrite?  I set it to AR PL New Sung and it worked fine both for
input
>and reading.  (Alternatively, you can set it to Bitstream Vera Sans, for
>example, and specify a Chinese font for a substitution font for it in
>qtconfig.  Then latin alphabets will use Bitstream Vera Sans and Chinese
>characters use the Chinese font.)

I could'nt find any 'AR PL New Sung' font in kwrite settings.
And, could you maybe suggest how to specify the chinese font in qtconfig
(pardon my inexperience)?

Yukiko wrote:

>I don't know how to use Emacs with or without scim ... Sorry I cannot help
you
>there.

Maybe I could make the couple Emacs-scim work if I could make zh_CN and
zh_CN.gbk
appear in the output of the command '$ locale -a' (which now does not show
them),
and then run Emacs with '$ LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.gbk emacs'.
Could anyone indicate how to do so, i.e. how to insert zh_CN and zh_CN.gbk
in 'locale -a' output?

Thanks indeed,
regards,
Rodolfo