[Spice-devel] Dual and more head monitor support

Izik Eidus ieidus at redhat.com
Sat Apr 10 09:06:37 PDT 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:10:03 +0400
Roman Lazarev <romanlazarev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> We have compiled spice based on the 0.4.0 release. We were able to spin up a
> Windows image, and connect to it using a spice client. We have then
> procceded to configure qemu with "--qxl 2" on the server, and was able to
> see 2 monitors apearing in the Windows screens. Then we have tweaked
> underlying xorg.conf on the client to use dual-head display. This is where
> we'er having troubles...
>
> I have enabled "xinerama", and now I see a Windows image screen split
> between 2 monitors, left half of the screen on the left monitor, and right
> half of the screen on the right monitor. When I press "Shift+F11" to go to
> the full screen mode, I get just a sky-blue windows screen on the left
> monitor, but no login prompt (we have use -f on the client as well). If I
> press "Shift+F12" to release the cursor, it's floating from the very left of
> the left monitor to the very right of the right monitor... basically we're
> unable to stretch the windows desktop across two monitors (we have also
> checked the box "extend my workspace to this monitor" in the windows screens
> config)...
>
> Any help would be much appreciated... out goal is to get a windows desktop
> to stretch over 8 heads in the best case...

Spice currently support only 4 monitors,
however it is just a matter of changing a #define to make it run with more monitors.

What worry me with 8 monitors is the amount of pci memory that we will have to allocate
I am not sure if there will be enougth memory below the 4giga address
(We can check this, and maybe start the pci hole at lower address)

So just tell me all this issues, what window manger do you use?
from what distro and what version?

Thanks.