[Spice-devel] Ubuntu Spice Howto

Bryan Stillwell bryan at bokeoa.com
Sun Apr 25 14:56:44 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:34:26PM -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
>We've been testing out the initial release of Spice in our lab [1] and
>have found it to be quite impressive. We made a little howto [2] for
>Ubuntu, since much of the documentation and packages are Fedora-based.
>We just wanted to share it in case it is useful to others who want to
>do testing on Ubuntu.
>
>[1] http://cosi.clarkson.edu/
>[2] http://docs.cslabs.clarkson.edu/wiki/SPICE

Thanks for the howto for Ubuntu!  However, I tried following them on my
Ubuntu Karmic system and found a few issues:

1. The dependency installation command lists libasound-dev, but it's
   named libasound2-dev on karmic.

2. The qemu step for enabling spice is incomplete:

   # enable spice support in qemu:
   qemu-enable spice

   I couldn't find the 'qemu-enable' script/executable in any package on
   karmic.  It doesn't even appear like this step is needed at all.

3. The bios files are copied to the wrong location.  The way
   qemu-system-x86_64 is built, it looks for it in /usr/local/share/qemu
   or you'll get this message:

   qemu: could not load PC BIOS '/usr/local/share/qemu/bios.bin'

After that, things look pretty good.  Although I haven't done a lot of
testing with it yet.  Perhaps we could move the Ubuntu build
instructions over to the official SPICE wiki?  It would also be good to
add information on testing the latest upstream code there too.

Bryan