[Spice-devel] spice performance

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 02:21:32 PDT 2010

Hi Brian,

> I did finally get the .4 version of spice installed, however the
> video
> performance is somewhat lacking.  From the manual I gather qxl
> drivers
> are needed for best performance.
Yes, actually without the drivers you won't get any better performance
at all.

> I believe I've installed those drivers
> on my guest VM but the performance has not noticeably changed.  Is
> there any way to check whether spice is currently in vga or qxl mode?

You can look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log (assuming X is running on :0) and
see which driver it says you are using. Look for lines saying something like
containing qxl (I haven't used the X driver myself, I'm using windows guests).

> Do I need to install qxl drivers on the host also?
No, the host X has nothing to do with it. Actually the host doesn't have to run X
at all (unless you are also running the client on it).