[Spice-devel] An overview of Network redirection in Spice

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 01:44:16 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 09:29 -0500, Yonit Halperin wrote:

> 5.	Printer discovery: We implemented printer discovery via SNMP and
> DNS-SD.
> Snmp++ library was used for SNMP. For DNS-SD we used Apple Bonjour
> API,
> while employing avahi-daemon in Linux and Apple Bonjour in Windows.

Please use the avahi libraries rather than bonjour. Its the standard API
on linux.

However, I wonder if this really is the best way to detect printers.
Many setups don't use autodetection, and autodetection sometimes seem a
bit risky (what if you don't trust the network you're on?). Wouldn't it
be better if the client avoided any automatic detection and just listed
whatever network printers are locally installed/detected on the OS
running the client (i.e. list from cups on linux, list installed
printers on windows).

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a bookish ninja senator in a wheelchair. She's a violent mutant detective
from a different time and place. They fight crime!