[Spice-devel] SPICE questions

Stefan Zintgraf s.zintgraf at acontis.com
Sun Mar 7 13:16:36 PST 2010

Hi,

i have two questions regarding SPICE.

a) 32-bit support
I want to run a Windows guest on a 32-Bit Ubuntu system (version 9.10). The client shall also run on the same (32-Bit) machine. According the FAQ (and my experience...) i cannot build the server (libspice) on 32-Bit Ubuntu.
As a result, i was also not aware to build a spiced qemu on that machine.
Question: which components are required and how can i build them to run everything on a single 32-Bit Ubuntu system (Windows guest, spice server, spiced QEMU and spice client, ...)?

b) Desktop Virtualization, SPICE without server (QEMU integrated client)
This question is somehow related to my first question.
I want to run a Windows guest together with a client on the same (32-Bit) Ubuntu (9.10) system. For such purpose it would be a performance benefit, if the QXL commands would be directly handled by QEMU without translating them into SPICE commands and translating/tranferring them via SPICE server to the SPICE client. Is it possible (or are there plans) to integrate the SPICE client without extra translation of the QXL commands into QEMU?

Much thanks for any answer

Stefan